Thursday, February 17, 2011

New Orleans...

I spent last weekend in New Orleans with a friend who is visiting from London. We decided to try out the New Orleans travel guide written by Michael Stipe posted on Gwyneth Paltrow's website, GOOP. 


A friend of mine from California had mentioned GP's guide for San Francisco was really good so I had much faith in their recommendations for cool, hip and quality places in the Big Easy. Unfortunately Gwyneth and Stipey failed us. After 4 attempts at very average places we found a couple of cool spots on our own.


The Apple Barrel
609 Frenchmen St
New OrleansLA 70116

After suffering from a little Bourbon Street fatigue we ventured out in search of a more subdued offering with some very strict criteria - well ok, not that strict for New Orleans. We needed Blues, we needed alcohol and we needed a very low drunken-tourist to local ratio. We found that at the Apple Barrel. A total dive bar (my favorite!) with one man and a gee-tar belting out dirty blues in the corner. The bartender was a total character and more New Orleans than a craw fish beignet in a hand grenade cup.





Domenica
123 Baronne Street
New Orleans, LA 70130

From the outside this restaurant, which is part of the Waldorf Astoria hotel, looked a little stuffy, pretentious and frankly generic. But step inside and the space is huge yet atmospheric and very well decorated and laid out. It was a modern take on an Italian restaurant which is not exactly a new idea but the reason I liked it was because it wasn't arrogant and the food was just plain good old fashioned delicious.


I highly recommend the lasagna - yum! and the choc-hazelnut mousse my friend had was divine. The wine list was comprehensive and split by different regions in Italy. Mi Amore!






I tried to find a place to comment on the GOOP New Orleans post but apparently Gwyneth doesn't like feedback (meow!)... I do still love the gal though so will be checking out her guide to Nashville while I'm there in April.



No comments:

Post a Comment